Marvel MLBV215 Undercounter Refrigeration User Guide
QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE
MARVEL UNDERCOUNTER REFRIGERATION
Welcome to the Marvel Experience
Thank you for choosing our quality American-built product to add to your home. We are thrilled to welcome you to our growing community of Marvel owners, who trust in our products and our support.
The information in this guide is intended to help you install and maintain your new Marvel undercounter model to protect and prolong its lifetime. We encourage you to contact our Technical Support team at (616) 754-5601 with any questions.
Got a Marvelous Design?
We would love to see how your Marvel product looks in its new home. Send us photos at , and we might feature your Marvel home design on our website and social media!
Thank you again for investing in Marvel for your home!
Important Safety Instructions
Warnings and safety instructions appearing in this guide are not meant to cover all possible conditions and situations that may occur. Common sense, caution, and care must be exercised when installing, maintaining, or operating this appliance.
Recognize Safety Symbols, Words, and Labels.
WARNING – You can be killed or seriously injured if you do not follow these instructions.
CAUTION-Hazards or unsafe practices which could result in personal injury or property / product damage.
NOTE-Important information to help assure a problem free installation and operation.
State of California Proposition 65 Warning:
This product contains one or more chemicals known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm.
State of California Proposition 65 Warning:
This product contains one or more chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer.
WARNING-This unit contains R600a (Isobutane) which is a flammable hydrocarbon. It is safe for regular use. Do not use sharp objects to expedite defrosting. Do not damage refrigerant circuit.
UNPACKING YOUR APPLIANCE
EXCESSIVE WEIGHT HAZARD
Use two or more people to move product.
Failure to do so can result in personal injury.
Remove Interior Packaging
Your appliance has been packed for shipment with all parts that could be damaged by movement securely fastened. Remove internal packing materials and any tape holding internal components in place. The owners manual is shipped inside the product in a plastic bag along with the warranty registration card, and other accessory items.
Keep your carton and packaging until your appliance has been thoroughly inspected and found to be in good condition. If there is damage, the packaging will be needed as proof of damage in transit. Afterwards please dispose of all items responsibly.
WARNING – Dispose of the plastic bags which can be a suffocation hazard.
Note to Customer
This merchandise was carefully packed and thoroughly inspected before leaving our plant. Responsibility for its safe delivery was assumed by the retailer upon acceptance of the shipment. Claims for loss or damage sustained in transit must be made to the retailer.
DO NOT RETURN DAMAGED MERCHANDISE TO THE MANUFACTURER – FILE THE CLAIM WITH THE RETAILER.
If the appliance was shipped, handled, or stored in other than an upright position for any period of time, allow the appliance to sit upright for a period of at least 24 hours before plugging in. This will assure oil returns to the compressor. Plugging the appliance in immediately may cause damage to internal parts.
It is important you send in your warranty registration card immediately after taking delivery of your appliance or you can register online at www.marvelrefrigeration.com.
The following information will be required when registering your appliance.
Date of Purchase
Dealer’s name and address
The service number and serial number can be found on the serial plate which is located inside the cabinet on the left side near the top. See figure 1.
WARNING – Help Prevent Tragedies
Child entrapment and suffocation are not problems of the past. Junked or abandoned refrigerators are still dangerous – even if they sit out for “just a few hours”.
If you are getting rid of your old refrigerator, please follow the instructions below to help prevent accidents.
Before you throw away your old refrigerator or freezer:
- Take off the doors or remove the drawers.
- Leave the shelves in place so children may not easily climb inside.
INSTALLING YOUR APPLIANCE
The proper location will ensure peak performance of your appliance. We recommend a location where the unit will be out of direct sunlight and away from heat sources. To ensure your product performs to specifications, the recommended installation location temperature range is from 55 to 100°F (13 to 38°C).
Ventilation is required from the bottom front of the appliance. Keep this area open and clear of any obstructions. Adjacent cabinets and counter top can be installed around the appliance as long as the front grille remains unobstructed. All Marvel Professional models with articulated hinges are intended for built-in applications only.
Do not obstruct the front grille. The openings within the front grille allow air to flow through the condenser heat exchanger. Restrictions to this air flow will result in increased energy usage and loss of cooling capacity. For this reason it is important this area to not be obstructed and the grille openings kept clean. Marvel does not recommend the use of a custom made grille as air flow may be restricted.
Adjustable legs at the front and rear corners of the appliance should be set so the unit is firmly positioned on the floor and level from side to side and front to back. The overall height of your Marvel appliance may be adjusted higher (by turning the leveling leg out, CCW) and lower (by turning the leveling leg in, CW).
To adjust the leveling legs, place the appliance on a solid surface and protect the floor beneath the legs to avoid scratching the floor. With the assistance of another person, lean the appliance back to access the front leveling legs. Raise or lower the legs to the required dimension by turning the legs. Repeat this process for the rear by tilting the appliance forward using caution. On a level surface check the appliance for levelness and adjust accordingly.
The front grille screws may be loosened and the grille adjusted to the desired height. When adjustment is complete tighten the two front grille screws. (See Figure 2).
Electrical Shock Hazard
- Do not use an extension cord with this appliance. They can be hazardous and can degrade product performance.
- This appliance should not, under any circumstances, be installed to an un-grounded electrical supply.
- Do not remove the grounding prong from the power cord. (See Figure 3).
- Do not use an adapter. (See Figure 4).
- Do not splash or spray water from a hose on the appliance. Doing so may cause an electrical shock, which may result in severe injury or death.
A grounded 115 volt, 15 amp dedicated circuit is required.
This product is factory equipped with a power supply cord that has a three-pronged, grounded plug. It must be plugged into a mating grounding type receptacle in accordance with the National Electrical Code and applicable local codes and ordinances (see Figure 6). If the circuit does not have a grounding type receptacle, it is the responsibility and obligation of the customer to provide the proper power supply. The third ground prong should not, under any circumstances, be cut or removed.
Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI) are prone to nuisance tripping which will cause the appliance to shut down. GFCI’s are generally not used on circuits with power equipment that must run unattended for long periods of time, unless required to meet local building codes and ordinances.
Door Reversing Instructions
- 1/8″ Hex Key
- 5/32″ Hex Key
- Phillips Screwdriver
1. Open door and remove Hinge Pin from the Upper Hinge using a 1/8? Hex Key tool (Fig. 6), making sure to steady the door Slowly remove the door from the Upper Hinge and lift to remove off the base Lower Hinge.
2. Using a Phillips Screwdriver, remove the 6 screws from both the Upper and Lower Hinges and save for later steps
3. Once the Hinges are removed from the unit, using a Phillips Screwdriver, remove the Bushing Screw and Hinge Pin Screw and save for later steps (Fig. 6a).
4. On the Bottom Hinge, reattach the Bushing Screw and Hinge Pin Screw to the opposite side (Fig. 6b)
Figure 6 – Upper Right
Figure 6c – Upper Left
Figure 6a – Lower Right
Figure 6b – Upper Left
5. Using a 5/32″ Hex Key, remove the Upper and Lower Hinge Brackets from the door (Fig. 7), saving all components. Remove black plugs from opposite side of door. flip the Upper Hinge Bracket and reattach the Hinge Bushing (Fig. 7) and screw into place on the opposite side of the door (where plugs were removed). Remove the Cam Closer from the LowerHinge Bracket (Fig. 7) and attach it to the opposite side (Fig. 7b).
Figure 7 – Upper Hinge
Bracket (Before Reversal)
Figure 7c – Upper Hinge
Bracket (After Reversal)
Figure 7a – Lower Hinge
Bracket (Before Reversal)
Figure 7b – Lower Hinge
Bracket (After Reversal)
6. Remove the Toe Kick from the door and attach it to the opposite side (Fig. 8).
7. Reattach the Upper and Lower Hinges, and Hinge Brackets to opposite sides. Then install the door.
Reversing the Shelf Spacers
Wine Rack Installation
To remove rack from the cabinet:
- Remove any bottles stored on the rack.
- Grasp the end of the rack and gently slide it out until it stops.
- Press the left rack release lever down. At the same time lift the matching right rack release lever up. Pull the rack out until it is free of the tracks and the cabinet.
Do not remove the track rails from the cabinet.
To reverse the shim pattern:
- Remove the outer glides keeping track of the shims.
- Once the outer glides are removed, reverse the shims. Left now goes to the right, and right goes to the left.
- Install the outer glides back in and install the wine racks.
To insert rack in the cabinet:
- Align the left and right rack channels with the tracks in the cabinet. Ensure an even track engagement on both sides by gently pushing the rack into the cabinet until it stops.
- Before reloading the rack, ensure proper movement of the travel stops in the left and right track rails by pulling the rack out gently until it stops.
INSTALLING THE ANTI TIP DEVICE
- ALL APPLIANCES CAN TIP RESULTING IN INJURY.
- INSTALL THE ANTI-TIP BRACKET PACKED WITH THE APPLIANCE.
- FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW
If your appliance is not located under a counter top (free standing), you must use an anti-tip device installed as per these instructions. If the unit is removed from its location for any reason, make sure that the device is properly engaged with the anti-tip bracket when you push the appliance back into the original location. If the device is not properly engaged, there is a risk of the appliance tipping over, with the potential for property damage or personal injury.
If installing on a concrete floor, concrete fasteners are required, (not included with the anti-tip kit).
Any finished flooring should be protected with appropriate material to avoid damage when moving the unit.
Floor Mount Installation
The anti-tip bracket is to be located on the floor in the left or right rear corner of the appliance as shown in “Figure 12”.
*** FOR FULL INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS, REFER TO THE PRODUCT OWNER’S GUIDE ONLINE AT WWW.MARVELREFRIGERATION.COM
USING YOUR ELECTRONIC CONTROL
Control Function Guide
||Unit will immediately turn ON or OFF.|
|Leave Interior Light On||Press
||After 12 hours, factory default is restored; light will turn on when door is open.|
||When the display is flashing, press |
|Toggle Between °F / °C||Hold
||The display will change units.|
|Enable Sabbath Mode||Press
||The °F / °C symbol will flash briefly after 5 seconds. Interior light and display will go dark and remain so until user resets mode – unit continues to operate.|
|Disable Sabbath Mode||Press
||Display and interior light return to normal operation.|
||Display will show |
Temperature displayed reflects actual temperature inside unit. If the temperature displayed is different than selected, the unit is progressing towards the selected temperature. Time to reach set point varies based upon ambient temperature, temperature of product loaded, door openings, etc. Marvel recommends allowing the unit to reach set points before loading.
CARE AND CLEANING
Be sure that nothing obstructs the required air flow openings in front of the cabinet. At least once or twice a year, brush or vacuum lint and dirt from the front grille area (see page 4).
SHOCK HAZARD: Disconnect electrical power from the appliance before cleaning with soap and water.
The painted cabinet can be washed with either a mild soap and water and thoroughly rinsed with clear water. NEVER use abrasive scouring cleaners.
Wash interior compartment with mild soap and water. Do NOT use an abrasive cleaner, solvent, polish cleaner or undiluted detergent.
Care of Appliance
- Avoid leaning on the door, you may bend the door hinges or tip the appliance.
- Exercise caution when sweeping, vacuuming or mopping near the front of the appliance. Damage to the grille can occur.
- Periodically clean the interior of the appliance as needed.
- Periodically check and/or clean the front grille as needed.
In the Event of a Power Failure
If a power failure occurs, try to correct it as soon as possible. Minimize the number of door openings while the power is off so as not to adversely affect the appliance’s temperature.
Light assembly replacement
All models use an LED to illuminate the interior of the appliance. This component is very reliable, but should it fail, contact a qualified service technician for replacement of the LED.
The following suggestions will minimize the cost of operating your refrigeration appliance.
- Do not install your appliance next to a hot appliance (cooker, dishwasher, etc.), heating air duct, or other heat sources.
- Install product out of direct sunlight.
- Ensure the front grille vents at front of appliance beneath door are not obstructed and kept clean to allow ventilation for the refrigeration system to expel heat.
- Plug your appliance into a dedicated power circuit. (Not shared with other appliances).
- When initially loading your new product, or whenever large quantities of warm contents are placed within refrigerated storage compartment, minimize door openings for the next 12 hours to allow contents to pull down to compartment set temperature.
- Maintaining a relatively full storage compartment will require less appliance run time than an empty compartment.
- Ensure door closing is not obstructed by contents stored in your appliance.
- Allow hot items to reach room temperature before placing in product.
- Minimize door openings and duration of door openings.
- Use the warmest temperature control set temperature that meets your personal preference and provides the proper storage for your stored contents.
- When on vacation or away from home for extended periods, set the appliance to warmest acceptable temperature for the stored contents.
- Set the control to the “off” position if cleaning the appliance requires the door to be open for an extended period of time.
- For wine storage products:
When serving temperatures are not required, return the compartment(s) set temperature to the ideal red and white wine long term storage temperature of 13°C / 55°F.
HOUSEHOLD PRODUCT WARRANTY
Marvel Refrigeration (Marvel) Limited Warranty
ONE YEAR LIMITED PARTS & LABOR WARRANTY
For one year from the date of original purchase, this warranty covers all parts and labor to repair or replace any part of the product that proves to be defective in materials or workmanship. For products installed and used for normal residential use, material cosmetic defects are included in this warranty, with coverage limited to 60 days from the date of original purchase. All service provided by Marvel under the above warranty must be performed by a Marvel factory authorized servicer, unless otherwise specified by Marvel. Service provided during normal business hours.
TWO YEAR LIMITED PARTS & LABOR WARRANTY (MARVEL PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS)
For two years from the date of original purchase, this warranty covers all parts and labor to repair or replace any part of the product that proves to be defective in materials or workmanship. For products installed and used for normal residential use, material cosmetic defects are included in this warranty, with coverage limited to 60 days from the date of original purchase. All service provided by Marvel under the above warranty must be performed by a Marvel factory authorized servicer, unless otherwise specified by Marvel. Service provided during normal business hours.
AVAILABLE THIRD YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY (MARVEL PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS)
For designated Marvel Professional product, Marvel offers a one year extension of the two year warranty coverage from the date of purchase, free of charge. To take advantage of this third year warranty, you must register your product with Marvel within 60 days from the date of purchase at marvelrefrigeration.com and provide proof of purchase.
LIMITED FIVE YEAR SEALED SYSTEM WARRANTY
For five years from the date of original purchase, Marvel will repair or replace the following parts, labor not included, that prove to be defective in materials or workmanship: compressor, condenser, evaporator, drier, and all connecting tubing. All service provided by Marvel under the above warranty must be performed by a Marvel factory authorized servicer, unless otherwise specified by Marvel. Service provided during normal business hours.
These warranties apply only to products installed in any one of the fifty states of the United States, the District of Columbia, or the ten provinces of Canada. The warranties do not cover any parts or labor to correct any defect caused by negligence, accident or improper use, maintenance, installation, service, repair, acts of God, fire, flood or other natural disasters. The product must be installed, operated, and maintained in accordance with the Marvel User Guide.
The remedies described above for each warranty are the only ones that Marvel will provide, either under these warranties or under any warranty arising by operation of law. Marvel will not be responsible for any consequential or incidental damages arising from the breach of these warranties or any other warranty, whether express, implied, or statutory. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. These warranties give you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state.
Any warranty that may be implied in connection with your purchase or use of the product, including any warranty of merchantability or any warranty fit for a particular purpose is limited to the duration of these warranties, and only extends to five years in duration for the parts described in the section related to the five year limited warranty above. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations may not apply to you.
- The warranties only apply to the original purchaser and are non-transferable.
- These warranties cover products installed and used for normal residential use only.
- The warranties apply to units operated outside only if designed for outdoor use by model and serial number.
- Replacement water filters, light bulbs, and other consumable parts are not covered by these warranties.
- The start of Marvel’s obligation is limited to four years after the shipment date from Marvel.
- In-home instruction on how to use your product is not covered by these warranties.
- Food, beverage, and medicine loss are not covered by these warranties.
- If the product is located in an area where Marvel factory authorized service is not available, you may be responsible for a trip charge or you may be required to bring the product to a Marvel factory authorized service location at your own cost and expense.
- Units purchased after use as floor displays, and/or certified reconditioned units, are covered by the limited one year warranty only and no coverage is provided for cosmetic defects.
- Signal issues related to Wi-Fi connectivity are not covered by these warranties.
For parts and service assistance, or to find Marvel factory authorized service near you, contact Marvel Refrigeration:
MarvelRefrigeration.com • • +616.754.5601
1260 E. Van Deinse St., Greenville, MI 48838
1260 E. Van Deinse St.
Greenville MI 48838
41015935 Rev A
All specifications and product designs subject to change without notice. Such revisions do not entitle the buyer to corresponding changes, improvements, additions, replacements or compensation for previously purchased products.